Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Can you believe it's already 2011? It seems like just yesterday everyone was worrying about Y2K. Like it or not, it's here and its time to put this new year to good use. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't like resolutions. I'm all for making changes to your life but I don't like the idea of making crazy out of reach goals that are impossible to reach, therefore setting your self up to fail. I'm tired of failing.

My "resolutions" this year are the same as last year - quit being a slave to everything in my life. I've started conquering my work and not letting my deadlines rule me, but I'm not there 100 percent yet. Obviously, I'm still a huge slave to my weight and to food. I'm on my way to becoming the master over my impulses but I'm not there yet.

But isn't that what this life is about, making progress toward your goal and working hard to get there? It doesn't matter when you start, it's that you finish and that's what I intend to do. I'm not going to dazzle you with amazing predictions about weight loss and all that crap. I'm taking it slow and going steady. But how to start?

I'm not an Oprah fan per se and I never watch her show. But I did run across an article written by one of her lackey's Dr. Mehmet Oz that I really liked. In the article, he outlines some strategies to help you follow through with your "resolutions". Here is the link to the full article but here is the gist of it:

1. Get more sleep
Sometimes, hitting the snooze button in the morning isn't such a bad idea. A lack of rest can cause your body to gain weight, Oz says, adding that seven hours of shuteye per night is the magic number.

2. Lose 10 Lbs.
The key to cutting your risk of having a heart attack or getting arthritis? Ten lbs. Oz says dropping the weight is "a huge benefit" that's "easily obtainable."

3. Work out every morning
No need to load up on lattes – Oz says the best morning pick-me-up isn't caffeinated. The doctor says a brisk seven-minute workout is the perfect way to jump start the day, whether in the form of a yoga routine – his personal favorite – stretching or running.

4. Have a multivitamin every day
A multivitamin ensures you're getting the 12 essential vitamins and minerals you need in your diet every day – especially if you're not getting them at the dinner table.

5. Make time for friends and family every single day
Oz says touching base with loved ones doesn't require hours of time (or cell phone minutes). "It doesn't have to be a long conversation – just three or four minutes," he says. "Most people do this naturally without thinking about it, but some don't."

I like how simple these are. Basic things that will improve our lives one small step at a time. As I'm sitting here pouring my heart out, my daughter is leaning on me, practically begging for attention and it immediately made me think of number five. Too often during a normal day, I rely on Bridget's self sufficient attitude while I'm working. Work is important but what if I spent an extra hour each day doing something with Bridget. Taking her to the park, doing a crafty project? An hour spent moving around and not just sitting in front of my laptop.

You see how easy these tips are to fit in and how it could impact your life? I'm kind of tingly just thinking about it. Let's make 2011 the best year ever and make those goals to becoming a better person. Baby steps are the key, just don't stop moving forward!

Tonya and I have some big changes coming to this blog and we will be featuring some amazing people that are on their way to conquering the weight loss beast. Stay with us friends, you won't be dissapointed.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I'm with you once this baby is born in Feb. One thing the gals in my family have done is track our progress on http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/
    It's a great tool that offers a lot of support.

    ReplyDelete