Monday, April 4, 2011

New breakfast sensation

Breakfast can be hard for me days. I know its good for me and I should be eating it with in an hour of waking up. But some days, its such a hassle. Don't get me wrong, I love breakfast. Waffles, pancakes, sausage, bacon, coffee cake, ect....you get the idea. The only day I indulge in the lovely carb filled breakfast is on Sunday's (and I enjoy every day minute of it, even if James doesn't). 

But for the other six days during the week, how do I mix it up and eat something enjoyable with out killing my diet or feeling starved. Hold on one second while I jump up onto my soap box....ah, there we go.

The answer is Greek yogurt!!!!

Ah, Greek yogurt, creamy low fat, high protein concoction from the birth place of civilization (that's Greece, right?) If you haven't tried it, shame on you. It's fab! I keep a vat of it in my fridge at all times and use it almost daily. In addition to cooking with it (its delish in baked goods) and using it in sauces (coleslaw dressing, ranch/blue cheese salad dressing, Tzatziki sauce) its also great to eat.

Here's my disclaimer - while it tastes a lot like sour cream, its not always interchangeable, especially when cooking with it. Greek yogurt takes a little time to get used to. But once you do, oh mama, you won't ever go back!

So in my quest to find good breakfast meals, I created this little gem. Its creamy, crunchy, fruity and oh so yummy. And even better in a bowl stolen from your favorite sister (love you Tonya!) Be prepared to be delighted people.


Greek yogurt parfait with candied almonds
Serves 2

1 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
1/2 cup strawberries, cut up
4-6 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal


Combine the almonds, oatmeal, 4 tsp. sugar, and the cinnamon in a dry pan on med-high heat. Watch this carefully, stirring often so that it doesn't burn. In about 5 minutes, the sugar will begin to melt. Stir it to cover the almonds and oatmeal. Once cooked, spray a plate with cooking spray and spread the mixture on the plate to cool (I put it in my freezer for a few minutes).

Chop up the strawberries and use the remaining 2 tsp. of sugar to macerate the berries. To make the parfaits, put half the yogurt on the bottom of the bowl, top with half the strawberries and the cooled almond mixture.

As usual, if you decide to try it, let us know what you think. Have a way to make it better? Let us know!

Here's the calorie count for this:

Calories 231
Total Fat 6.9g
Saturated Fat 0.6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.9g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.1g
Cholesterol 0.0mg
Sodium 40.9mg
Potassium 212.9mg
Total Carbohydrate 31.0g
Dietary Fiber 4.2g
Protein 14.2g
Vitamin A 0.40%
Vitamin B-12 10.00%
Vitamin B-6 4.40%
Vitamin C 72.30%
Vitamin D 0.00%
Vitamin E 16.00%
Calcium 17.30%
Copper 8.50%
Folate 43.00%
Iron 6.90%
Magnesium 12.70%
Manganese 26.00%
Niacin 3.20%
Pantothenic Acid 8.30%
Phosphorus 20.40%
Riboflavin 22.10%
Selenium 1.60%
Thiamin 6.90%
Zinc 3.30%

No comments:

Post a Comment