Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Chairman of the bored

I have a butt load of work to do. For some reason, instead of working, not only am I surfing the internet needlessly, but I'm also eating badly! Ugh! I've been on my program for three days now and I love it. Today I felt my first taste of failure with it. Not because the program doesn't work, but because of boredom, or as I like to call it, the Diet Slayer.

Do you eat when you get bored? I find myself doing it. The last two days I have felt fabulous, had good sustained energy and no swelling in my feet. Now, after eating very bad for you granola with milk and cream, I feel like shit. My tummy hurts, I'm feeling tired and mostly my ass hurts from kicking myself.

Why the epic fail? Being bored. Instead of focusing on work, like I should be, I'm thinking about ways to avoid it. And one big way to avoid is to eat. I can't interview someone over the phone or type a story when I'm eating, so I'll just surf CNN or Pinterest until I get done. Two hours later, my snack has come and gone and I'm still surfing.

This problem has two glaring faults:

1. I need to quit procrastinating and get my shit together for work
2. Using food as an emotional filler will only make me fat

I work in my kitchen, which I think is part of the problem. How easy is it for me to jump up, walk 20 steps and have a smorgasbord at my fingertips. Way too easy. But until I can get my new work space set up, I have to fight the battle of boredom and conquer my food addiction. Admitting is always the first step and I think for the first time in a long time, I can identify the icky feelings almost immediately, which helps to combat them.

Now I am faced with another dilemma, do I say screw it and have a cheat day or jump right back on the wagon? Tough call, tougher still to do. Part of the reason I'm fat is because I have too many cheat days and not enough on the wagon days. Fit, healthy people are the opposit and since that's what I want to become, its time to change.

Turn that frown upside down and get back to kicking fats ass. I will not let this minor fail derail me. No, no, no! Fat will not win today and I'll be damned if I'm going to lost the lovely feeling of sustained energy just for a quick fix.

Here is a story the USA Today did about bored eating. How do you combat boredom? How does it impact your eating habits?

No comments:

Post a Comment