Sunday, June 13, 2010

Skinny gorgonzola salad dressing

A salad just isn't a salad if its not swimming in a creamy, ranch dressing. I'm not a big fan of vinaigrette's except for my salad of love dressing (I'll post that recipe later). In the immortal words of Homer Simpson "You don't make friends with salad." No truer words my friend.

But this lifestyle change of mine has required me to not drown myself in salad dressing with my salads, which I must continue to eat. What's a fat girl to do? The solution - come up with a low fat creamy dressing that feels like cheating.

Impossible you say? I thought so too. Until I stumbled upon this little gem from Gina's Skinny Taste blog. It looked like a great recipe but I decided to make a few modifications and came up with this masterpiece that I think you will love!

The super hero ingredient in this dish is Greek yogurt. Have you tried it? It's DIVINE! It's more sour, like sour cream but still has the consistency of yogurt. I started using this on baked potatoes and it is so much better. In an eight ounce serving you get zero fat, only nine grams carbohydrates and a whopping 23 grams of protein! Of course every kind is a little different but the nutritional information for the most part is the same. I keep this in my fridge and use it all the time. 

Greek yogurt can be found in most regular grocery stores and doesn't require a trip to a specialty foods store. It's a little pricier than regular yogurt but it's worth it. While I was making dinner tonight I cut some carrots into chips with my mandolin and dipped them in the dressing while I cooked. It was so yummy!



Gorgonzola Yogurt Dressing
Makes 8 servings


6 oz. (3/4 cup) of plain Greek Yogurt
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise (I used regular because I didn't have any reduced fat on hand but it works great with the reduced fat)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese


Combine the yogurt and mayonnaise until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until combined. 


It's super easy and delicious. Try it and tell me what you think!

Here is the nutritional information from Spark Recipes:


Nutrition Facts
Skinny gorgonzola/blue cheese salad dressing
  8 Servings

Amount Per Serving
  Calories 76.1
  Total Fat 6.2 g
      Saturated Fat 2.1 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 0.7 g
  Cholesterol 7.8 mg
  Sodium 297.1 mg
  Potassium 31.0 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
      Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
      Sugars 1.0 g
  Protein 3.8 g

  Vitamin A 1.5 %
  Vitamin B-12 3.8 %
  Vitamin B-6 1.7 %
  Vitamin C 0.8 %
  Vitamin D 0.0 %
  Vitamin E 1.4 %
  Calcium 7.2 %
  Copper 0.3 %
  Folate 1.0 %
  Iron 0.5 %
  Magnesium 1.2 %
  Manganese 0.6 %
  Niacin 0.5 %
  Pantothenic Acid     2.6 %
  Phosphorus     6.2 %
  Riboflavin 4.5 %
  Selenium 2.1 %
  Thiamin 1.2 %
  Zinc 1.7 %



*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment